|Return to List|
New Solicitation Ordinance
Posted on Aug 16th, 2018
The City Council recently adopted a new solicitation ordinance. The ordinance states that it is unlawful for any vendor and vendor’s employees and agents to engage in door-to-door soliciting within the city until that person complies with the provisions of the ordinance. Like before, they are required to have a solicitation license, issued by the Clerk-Treasurer’s office, which is nontransferable. Solicitors will be required to openly display their permit upon his or her person whenever engaging in door-to-door solicitation and must present it to any person that requests to see it.
The following are several important excerpts from the new ordinance:
• Solicitors are now restricted to soliciting between the hours of 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM.
• Solicitors are restricted from approaching any home displaying a “No Soliciting” sticker, decal, sign, or other means of notification.
• Solicitors cannot conduct door-to-door soliciting within any subdivision or neighborhood if a “No Soliciting” or comparable sign is clearly posted at entrances to the subdivision or neighborhood.
• Violations of the ordinance may result in a fine of $100 for each separate offense up to $1,000 for each day.
• Each solicitor must complete a background check through the Indiana State Police.
The new ordinance also provides that the Westfield Police Department will hand out free “No Soliciting” stickers and decals to any resident of the city who wants one. These stickers and decals are available to pick up at the Westfield Police Department during regular office hours. The address is 17535 Dartown Rd, and our office hours are Monday – Friday from 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM. It should be noted that any sticker or sign will serve as sufficient notice to a solicitor that no soliciting is allowed. “No Soliciting” signs at the entrance to any subdivision or neighborhood are still valid as well.
To view the full ordinance, please visit:
To report an unlicensed solicitor or a solicitor violating the new ordinance, please call our dispatch center at (317) 773-1300. An officer will respond to the area to speak with the solicitor. The officer may issue a warning or citation for a violation of this ordinance.
Attached is a list of the current active permits, an example of the “No Soliciting” sticker, and an example of the City of Westfield solicitor's permit. It will have an embossed City of Westfield Seal on it as well as the Clerk-Treasurer's signature.
If you have any questions about this ordinance, please call Assistant Chief Scott Jordan at 317-804-3202 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.